Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Homemade Vintage Tags

Happy New Year,

Better late than never! :)

I have been neglecting posts and actually have much to post. When I didn't have much to post I wanted to post all the time.

I've been enjoying using my Sizzix Movers and Shapers L Die for tags & bookplates. I especially like that I don't have to buy tags, I can cut them. I cut a few and wanted them to have that vintage look.  I had some coffee that had reached its expiration date so it came in handy.

I boiled some water and added a few tablespoons of the coffee to the pot. At first it wasn't getting dark enough so I added about 5 tablespoons all together. I added the cut tags to the pot and let them sit for a minute or two.


After taking the tags out of the water, i sprinkled them with the cinnamon. Oh yeah, I added a few drops of vanilla extract to the water for smell.  then sprinkled them with cinnamon.



As they were drying, the cinnamon seemed to dry to the card. I used my Tim Holtz sanding block to get most of the cinnamon off.


These are the final tags. I don't mind that the writing is on the other side since they were cut from the file folders. I can cover them or let them show through. I actually enjoyed making these tags. I 've got so many folders to use up.


Hope you enjoyed the post and give this a try if you have not already. If you have the die, it's cheaper to make your own tags than buy them. You can cut them to the size you'd like.

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment