Thursday, January 16, 2014

Vintage Made New

Hi all,

Hope you are having a happy Friday. I know I will.....it's Fridayyyyyyy! The week has been long and trying to get my craft room straightened has been a feat. I would say it's about 90% done...as long as I don't go out and buy anything else.

I brought in my tool box a few days ago; which is where I store my things for making jewelry and my vintage pieces. Some of these earrings cost maybe $0.50  to a few dollars and the brooches I may have paid $10 for a few but less for most. Some, I've already moved to my jewelry box and have been wearing. I decided it's time to convert all the earrings with the screw on backs to pierced. I don't know how they wore those back then, but they hurt your ears. And don't be jumping, the thing is liable to fly off.
screw posts
 

This is what is in the drawer now. Most of the items on the left are brooches. I don't know how but I found two similar bracelets from two different stores in two different cities. One is jade and the other is a turquoise bracelet. I haven't worn them yet. The brown pieces on the left behind the bracelets came from a pair of sandals I had that broke, so I took the pieces off and will add an earring post to the them. The lone blue and white earring, I cannot find the mate. I must have used it on something else.

This brooch reminded me of my mom. My mom used to have a necklace that had a beautiful pendant on it that opened and inside the pendant was this perfumed cream that smelled really good. I wish she still had it, I'd claim it and wear it now. This one; I don't think what's in here smells good. It may have back then. I 've got to clean it out before I wear it.


Now some of these earrings, although vintage, are a bit gaudy and I cannot see myself wearing them, they may end up being used for another project.


<---the gaudy sisters--->
 
 
These are a few that I can see wearing with a summer dress. They are light and playful. The pink ones at top are buttons that I will be cutting the back off of and adding an earring post. One of the orange flowers is missing the back. I can even see the shoes with this outfit.
 
 
Great for summer
 
The top two I can see going with a nice sundress or Sunday at church. The bottom one reminds me of Christmas and poinsettias. 
 
These I'm classifying as my "church lady earrings" hehehe. Now the big ones with the gray stone....I don't know when or where I will wear those.  
 
Church lady earrings

 
These belonged to my grandmother. I am working on these first; they will be for my mom. Some of them are really big (to me) for such a small woman (my grandmother). I hope to someday pass them down to my daughter. I will share some of the finished earrings once the posts arrive and I've completed them. I shouldn't be to difficult. I've already started cutting the screw posts off.  
 
 
 
Well ladies, the next time you see a pair of vintage earrings that you adore but have the screw posts, don't pass them up. They can be converted. Clean them, redo them, and wear a piece of history.
 
Be blessed and have a great weekend. 



1 comment: